Telephone & Email Directory
Stephanie J. Mason
Stacy E. Crandell
|Assistant Township Manager||215-348-9915|
Margaret M. Trageser
|Open Records Officer||215-348-9915|
About Doylestown Township
Doylestown Township was founded in 1818 after the inhabitants of Doylestown and its vicinity petitioned the Judges of the Court of Quarter Sessions for the establishment of the Township of Doylestown. The first election of township officials was held in 1819, and by 1821 Doylestown Township had a total of 339 taxpayers. According to the US Census Bureau, there were 17,680 people residing in Doylestown Township in 2010.
According to the US Census Bureau, there were 17,971 people residing in Doylestown Township in 2020.
According to the US Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 15.58 square miles, 15.5 square miles of which is land and 0.08 square miles of which is water. There are 76 miles of township-maintained roads and 33 miles of state-maintained roads within the township.
Doylestown Township is situated in the area of the Neshaminy Creek Watershed. The stream flows approximately 50 miles in a southeast direction to its confluence with the Delaware River.
As of the 2010 census, there were 6,636 parcels and 4,444 families residing in the township. The population density was 1125.96 people per square mile. There were 6,636 housing units at an average density of 425.0/sq mi.
In 2010, the population was spread out with 21.3% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 15 to 19, 5.5% from 20 to 24, 7.8% from 25-34, 12.4% from 35-44, 18.1% from 45 to 54, 13.6% from 55-64, and 18.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years.
As of 2009 census estimates, education, health and social services made up 26.2% of the total industry in the township, and professional, scientific, management, administrative and waste management services was the second leading industry with 14.8%. 93.0% of the population 25 years and older had graduated from high school or higher, and 48.2% held a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Museum & Attractions
- Fonthill Museum
- Moravian Tile Works
- Kid’s Castle
- Bike & Hike Trail System
- Park System
Shopping & Entertainment
- Barn Plaza Shopping Center
- Regal Barn Plaza Movie Theater
- Mercer Square Shopping Center
- Doylestown Pointe Plaza Shopping Center
- Buckingham Township
- Chalfont Borough
- Doylestown Borough
- New Britain Borough
- New Britain Township
- Plumstead Township
- Warwick Township
- Warrington Township
Famous Inhabitants of Doylestown Township/Borough (born, lived or died)
- Henry Chapman Mercer, archeologist
- Washington Atlee Burpee, founder of the Burpee Seed Company
- William Edgar Geil, author and first person to traverse entire path of the Great Wall of China
- Charles Robert Francis, Private, U.S. Marine Corps., Boxer Rebellion
- Władysław Bortnowski, high ranking General during World War II
- Oscar Hammerstein, songwriter, producer, director
- Margaret Mead, anthropologist
- James Michener, author
- Justin Guarini, American Idol finalist
- Irene Molloy, singer and actress
- Alicia Moore, aka “Pink”, singer-songwriter
- Anthony Green, singer-songwriter