Algae Covered Bridge

The algae like bacteria recently discovered in the Pine Run Creek were found to contain cyanobacteria. This bacteria is generally at its height from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and the numbers reduce during the colder weather we experience the rest of the year. The toxin produced by these bacteria is inside of it, and is only released when ingested (as stomach acid erodes the coating).  The amount of bacteria found would be enough to kill a dog, or to make a child have digestive problems for a few days.  According to DEP, there is no risk to public drinking water from these bacteria, as the nearest active infall is 25 miles downstream.  There is no health risk from simply coming in contact with this form of cyanobacteria. However, we recommend that you and your pets not ingest the water if you see the algae like substance.